The History and Heritage of Northern England – Catterick

roman catterick

The History and Heritage of Northern England.

If British National Socialists and racial Nationalists do not understand the history and heritage of their own country, then they lack the underpinning knowledge of what it is they are fighting for.

This series of articles explores the history and traditions of the important cities and towns of the North of England.

It is worth noting that place names changed over the centuries and spellings of place names in Britain were not standardised until the late 18th or early 19th Century. Often place names were written down by clerks or scribes who made the best attempt to set down a local dialect name or spell a version that could be understood nationally.


CATTERICKNorth Yorkshire

As part of the Roman conquest of the north, the Roman army constructed a series of roads, principally the route which became known as Dere Street, and a bridge over the river Swale. The first Roman road took the route north towards Tyneside with another cross Pennine route to create a link to Carlisle. The Roman road through Catterick to the lands of the North East later became known as the Great North Road.

The Romans saw Cataractonium as of being of regional importance and not only created a fortified town, but built permanent barracks there and the headquarters for a regional governor and his staff.

Catreath/Cetreht

After the end of the Roman period, the area became a focus of the struggle between the northern Angles and the Celtic tribes of North and what became Scotland.

The battle fought outside Cetreht in the early Anglo-Saxon period, in 598 AD was part of the ongoing struggle between the recently established Angles and the older Celtic tribes of the Strathclyde Welsh and the Strathclyde Britons of what is now the Edinburgh area. The battle of Catreath saw control taken by the Anglian lords of Deira and Bernicia.

In the 6th Century AD, the Anglian kingdoms of Deira and Bernicia fought for control of what is today northern England, and this led to the creation of the unified Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbria.

Cetreht came under control of the kings of Northumbria, and was later taken over by the Viking rulers of Jorvik (York). The last Viking king of Jorvik, Eric Bloodaxe, passed through Catterick on his route along the old Roman road towards Carlisle, before being ambushed and killed on Stainmore.

After the Norman conquest of the north, the town was recorded in the Domesday Book as being called Catrice, a succession of Norman nobles included the village of Catterick in their estates and built a castle there to control the river crossings and routes north.

Some medieval accounts began to refer to the growing town as Catrigg and this later became Catterick. After the creation of the county of Yorkshire, Catterick became important as a cross county route in the North Riding of Yorkshire.

Catterick Garrison

No history of Catterick is complete without reference to Catterick Garrison, the collection of Ministry of Defence, Army and Crown buildings and land which makes up a parallel town to what was once Catterick village.

Catterick Garrison was first established in 1908 by Sir Robert Baden-Powell, (later founder of the Boy Scouts), and the barracks and training grounds rapidly expanded during the First World War to include a military hospital, stables and cavalry vetinary services. The military presence became permanent after 1918 and has remained part of the Catterick area ever since.

White Pride note: in the 2011 census, the town of Catterick was recorded as having a population which was 92.4% White British, with the addition of 2.3% other White (Irish, Polish etc) giving an overall total of the Catterick population being 94.7% White – a notable achievement in 21st Century Britain. A clear blow against multiculturalism and ‘diversity’

The British Army enjoy lunch in the recently built NAAFI cafeteria at Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire in March 1949.

The British Movement would love to receive articles for possible inclusion on this site from members and supporters across the North of England. Please remember that we have to operate within the laws of this country – we will not include any content that is against the current laws of the United Kingdom. News reports should be topical and be relevant to the regions covered by this website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Article
The Julleuchter (Yule Lantern)

The Julleuchter - Lighting Up The Darkness

Next Article
halal slaughterhouse

Animal Rights Should Come Before Religious Beliefs

Related Posts